On my research on CMS running on AppEngine, I found a new one called gae-django-cms
Try to the name, I am able to deploy the code to Google AppEngine in under half an hour.
Check this out: http://charles-cms.appspot.com/
It has always been a problem of editing html for posting to html blog, then I found one editor which I can easiey integrate with this blog.
I learnt this editor from App Engine Site Creator. It uses this editor. I though I should be able to do the same since it is running on Python.
Just a few hours later, I am happying blogging with this editor. It has cutdown the time of composing the blog by at least half.
If you are interested, please feel free to grab the code from Github .
For a view of the UI, please check
My original intention is to run Instant Press on AppEngine. I have run into a few road blocks, here is a few
- Admin login works with localhost: http://localhost:8000/admin/default/site, but it doesn't work with 127.0.0.1 !!
- Try follow https://bitbucket.org/mulonemartin/instantpress/wiki/Home to install Instant Press won't work, have to use git repository. I have it here if you want to grab it https://github.com/mycguo/instantpress
- When deployed to AppEngine, it is complaining about the table column named "parent". It has to be changed to something else.
I managed to run Instant Presse locally
Finally, I hit this error in AppEngine and have to give up. Apparently, it is using PIL internally and it is not supported in AppEngine.
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/base/data/home/apps/s~charles-web2py/2.362154009981920312/gluon/restricted.py", line 209, in restricted exec ccode in environment File "/base/data/home/apps/s~charles-web2py/2.362154009981920312/applications/instantpress/controllers/instantpress.py", line 11, in
from plugins.instantpress.admin import PluginI2PAdmin File "/base/data/home/apps/s~charles-web2py/2.362154009981920312/gluon/custom_import.py", line 298, in __call__ raise e ImportError: No ...
I have been searching for a open source CMS based on Python for a while, and I think I found it: http://code.google.com/p/instant-press/
The feature set looks impressive, especially working with AppEngine. I will report back late on my findings.
- Free and Open Source
- Manage articles, posts, and pages
- Manage users, categories, links, comments, uploads, styles
- Change logo, and front page without editing source code.
- Comments can be disable, or use disqus as comment system.
- Many widgets: addthis, last posts, links, tags, categories, archives.
- WYSIWYG editing, using CKeditor
- Multiple register method: Recaptcha, Confirm by mail, etc.
- Using html5boilerplate.com best practices baked in: cross-browser normalization, performance optimizations as a base template.
- Customize, come with 2 layout ready. Make your own customization. See customization.
- Developed in pure python using web2py as a framework.
- Ajax, use jquery and jquery-ui.
- Visual notifications.
- Feed articles and comments.
transformers: - kind: Unit connector: csv property_map: - property: id external_name: id import_transform: int - property: type external_name: type - property: unit_id external_name: unit_id - property: title external_name: title - property: release_date external_name: release_date - property: now_available external_name: now_available import_transform: 'lambda x: True if x == "True" else False'
I like the import_transform option a lot, which allows a lot of creativity.
Just tried a few and worked beautifully:
CGuo@CGUO-E8420 ~/Dropbox/docs/workspace4.2/coursebuilder/data $ appcfg.py upload_data --url=http://localhost:8083/_ah/remote_api --config_file=../bulkloader.yaml --filename=unit.csv --kind=Unit 03:22 PM Uploading data records. [INFO ] Logging to bulkloader-log-20120920.152255 [INFO ] Throttling transfers: [INFO ] Bandwidth: 250000 bytes/second [INFO ] HTTP connections: 8/second [INFO ] Entities inserted/fetched/modified: 20/second [INFO ] Batch Size: 10 Please enter login credentials for localhost:8083 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Password for email@example.com: [INFO ] Opening database: bulkloader-progress-20120920.152255.sql3 [INFO ] Connecting to localhost:8083/_ah/remote_api [INFO ] Starting import; maximum 10 entities per post .. [INFO ] 11 entities total, 0 previously transferred [INFO ] 11 entities (3197 bytes) transferred in 18.7 seconds [INFO ] All ...